Original Series Edit
FLCL or Fooly Cooly is a 6 episode linear Japanese animation created by production studio:Gainax Productions I.G. It was released in April 26, 2000 – March 16, 2001 noted for its vulgar humor and convoluted story line.
Airtime and Response Edit
On February 16,2014 Studio 4Kids announced that they would be doing an English dub of Gainax's FLCL to much dismay of fans.
On February 19,2015 The first episode of 4Kids' FLCL aired on television.During the daily 2 hour Cartoon Network anime block.The fan base was split between people who thought it was actually a decent dub and people who thought it was disgusting though much more of the latter than the former.
4Kids aired all 6 episodes though due to a public warning announcement they were forced to air episode 6 a second time.
The story follows a similar plot to the original, albeit with less of it border-lining on erotica.
FLCL is a coming-of-age story and revolves around Naota Nandaba, a 12-year-old, working-class boy living with his divorced father and grandfather. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of Haruko Haruhara, who runs over Naota with her yellow Vespa 180 SS scooter, gives him CPR, then hits him on the head with a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar. Naota discovers that the blow to his head created an "Y.E.S." portal, from which giant robots produced by a company known as Medical Machinery emerge periodically.Naota later finds Haruko working in his house as a live-in maid. It is later discovered that Haruko is an investigator for the Galactic Space Police Brotherhood. Haruko uses Naota for her search for the Pirate King, Atomik. She is at odds with Medical Machinery, a monolithic industrial corporation. Naota is being watched by Commander Nathaniel, a special agent of the Bureau of Interstellar Immigration, who believes that Medical Machinery is out to conquer the galaxy. Naota is ultimately drawn into a three-way battle between Haruko, Nathaniel and Medical Machinery
It was common practice for 4Kids to censor more adult animes so here's a list of what we could find.
- Vulgarity of the series was heavily altered, mainly around swearing and the occasional sexual undertones.
- The occasional sexual swings between Kamon Nandaba and Haruko Haruhara are edited out and are instead replaced with reused scenes dubbed over with Naota Nanbada's thoughts
- The scene where Lord Canti is reading an erotic magazine.The contents and cover being replaced by a TV guide.This is unusual as it is considered an innuendo which generally wouldn't be edited in by 4Kids.
- Haruko's "Bunny Costume."from episode 5 is lengthened around the waist and leg area but was strangely kept in.
- Kamon Nandaba's "death" is excused as him passing out due to dehydration,Though this is fitting with the solution.
- Most of the swearing was replaced with child appropriate things.
- Strangely most guns were not edited out do to the comedic nature of the shows violence
- Several of the character's names were changed
- Lord Canti's name was changed to Mr.TV
- Commander Amarao name was changed to Commander Nathaniel
- Mamimi Samejima's name was changed to Marilyn Samejima
- Medical Mechanica was changed to Medical Machinery
- N.O. is changed to Y.E.S.
- Atomsk name is changed to Atomik
The Reception from viewers was abnormally positive for a 4kids dub.However, viewership was unfortunately low due to lack of captivating ideas for children.
The Resignation of Director Zack Pisswack Edit
FLCL was most likely the cause for resignation of director Zack Pisswack who was going through an emotional downtime at the time of FLCL's failure.Zack Pisswack made his resignation letter publicly available for reading on his twitter account.The transcript can be found below.
"In hindsight,I don't think any child could have enjoyed this.Kids wanna see super powered animals and card duels and the misadventures of "Magical Molly". Kids can't respect anime for what it is and that's just a fact.This took a big toll on me personally because I oversaw the whole project and I put my soul into this dub and it just didn't work.Kids need something they can hang on to, whether its electric rodents or just the quest for a big pair of scissors.FLCL isn't a series we could have marketed, I signed onto the project not knowing that.I feel like I've grown though.I'm going to pursue other dreams now and that's my final decision.Signing off for the last time, Director Zack Pisswack."Zack Pisswack quoted in an interview that he thought that trying to market 4Kids 4Ever was insolent.A transcript can be found below.
"I Think that being personally involved with 4Kids was fun for at least a little while.I think everything changed when we tried marketing Dragon Ball and One Piece.Things got a little more hectic than they needed to be.I think the point of no return, and when I personally lost myself laughing was when 4Kids tried to dub Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1.FLCL was probably the nicest thing I've ever done for people watching 4Kids.I offered them an anime and I did it right, that's all I can really say about the 4Ever era."